Friday, August 1, 2008

Jewelers Row in Downtown Philadelphia is the oldest diamond district in America and only second in size to New York City. But its original design was not meant for the retail and manufacturing shops that now line the streets. It was built and developed by Thomas Carstairs and William Sansom between 1799 and 1820, as the first housing project in the United States. Until this point houses were all built in a traditional one-lot one-house manner. Sansom and Carstairs deigned and built 22 similar side-by-side dwellings that are now known as row houses and influenced the continued architecture and development of Philadelphia. William Sansom then paved the street out of his own pocket to try and attract residence, as the area was on the outskirts of town at the time. During 1860-1879 most of the buildings were changed as jewelers and other tradesman moved into the are to develop what Sansom Street is today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice and useful information

Cindy said...

I love the jewelry I purchased from PennDiamond Exchange. Both items were absolutely stunning. I found that Marc was very informative and helpful and was great to deal with. I will wear my eternity ring for, well, an eternity. I also love my diamond stud earrings. Both items were priced very well and of great workmanship and quality. I recommend them to all who ask. This new site is very informative as well. Keep up the good work!!!

Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation